Using Algorithms to Improve Efficiency & Predict Injury
- Lehr ME, Plisky PJ, Kiesel KB, Butler RJ, Fink M, Underwood FB. Field Expedient Screening and Injury Risk Algorithm Categories (Move2Perform) as Predictors of Non-Contact Lower Extremity Injury. Scan J Med Sci Sport. 2013 Aug;23(4):e225-32
- Teyhen DS, Shaffer SW, Umlauf JA, Akerman RJ, Canada JB, Butler RJ, Goffar SL, Walker MJ, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ. Automation to improve efficiency of field expedient injury prediction screening. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Jul;26 Suppl 2:S61-72.
Normative Data (In addition to our 30,000+ database)
- Teyhen DS, Riebel MA, McArthur DR, Savini M, Jones MJ, Goffar SL, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ. Normative data and the influence of age and gender on power, balance, flexibility, and functional movement in healthy service members. Mil Med. 2014 Apr;179(4):413-20.
- Faigenbaum AD, Myer GD, Fernandez IP, Carrasco EG, Bates N, Farrell A, Ratamess NA, Kang J. Feasibility and reliability of dynamic postural control measures in children in first through fifth grades. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2014 Apr;9(2):140-8.
- Gorman PP, Plisky PJ, Butler RJ, Kiesel KB. Upper Quarter Y Balance Test: Reliability and Performance Comparison Between Genders in Active Adults. J Strength Cond Res. 2012.
- Butler RJ, Southers C, Gorman PP, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ. Differences in Soccer Players’ Dynamic Balance Across Levels of Competition. J Athl Train. 2012;47(6):616-620.
- Schneiders AG, Davidsson A, Horman E, Sullivan SJ. Functional movement screen normative values in a young, active population. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2011;6(2):75-82.
- Butler RJ, Queen RM, Beckman B, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ, Comparison of dynamic balance in adolescent male soccer players from Rwanda and the United States. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2013; 8(6): 749-755.
Star Excursion & Y Balance Test Reliability, Validity, Injury Prediction
- Smith CA, Chimera NJ, Warren M. Association of Y Balance Test Reach Asymmetry and Injury in Division I Athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014 May 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Steffen K, Emery CA, Romiti M, Kang J, Bizzini M, Dvorak J, Finch CF, Meeuwisse WH. High adherence to a neuromuscular injury prevention programme (FIFA 11+) improves functional balance and reduces injury risk in Canadian youth female football players: a cluster randomised trial. Br J Sports Med. 2013 Aug;47(12):794-802
- Gribble PA, Hertel J, Plisky PJ. Using the Star Excursion Balance Test to Assess Dynamic Postural Control Deficits and Outcomes in Lower Extremity Injury: a literature and systematic review. J Athl Train. 2012;47(3):339-57.
- Butler RJ , Lehr ME, Fink M, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ. Dynamic Balance Performance and Noncontact Lower Extremity Injury in College Football Players: An Initial Study. Sports Health. 2013; 5(5):417-22
- Plisky PJ, Rauh MJ, Kaminski TW, Underwood, FB. Star Excursion Balance Test predicts lower extremity injury in high school basketball players. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2006;36(12):911-9
- de Noronha M, França LC, Haupenthal A, Nunes GS. Intrinsic predictive factors for ankle sprain in active university students: A prospective study. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2012.
- Shaffer SW, Teyhen DS, Lorenson CL, Warren RL, Koreerat CM, Straseske CA, Childs JD. Y-Balance Test: a reliability study involving multiple raters. Mil Med. 2013;178(11):1264-70
- Westrick RB, Miller JM, Carow SD, Gerber JP. Exploration of the Y-Balance Test for assessment of upper quarter closed kinetic chain performance. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2012 Apr;7(2):139-47.
- Plisky PJ, Gorman P, Kiesel K, Butler R, Underwood F, Elkins B. The reliability of an instrumented device for measuring components of the Star Excursion Balance Test. NAJSPT. 2009;4(2):92-99.
- Herrington L, Hatcher J, Hatcher A, McNicholas M. A comparison of Star Excursion Balance Test reach distances between ACL deficient patients and asymptomatic controls. Knee. 2009;16(2):149-152.
- Aminaka N, Gribble P. Patellar taping, patellofemoral pain syndrome, lower extremity kinematics, and dynamic postural control. Journal of Athletic Training. 2008;43(1):21-28.
- Hertel J, Braham R, Hale S, Olmsted-Kramer L. Simplifying the star excursion balance test: analyses of subjects with and without chronic ankle instability. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2006;36(3):131-137.
- Nakagawa L, Hoffman M. Performance in static, dynamic, and clinical tests of postural control in individuals with recurrent ankle sprains. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2004;13(3):255-268.
- Bouillon L, Sklenka D, Driver A. Comparison of training between 2 cycle ergometers on dynamic balance for middle-aged women. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2009;18:316-326.
- Filipa A, Byrnes R, Paterno M, Myer G, Hewett T. Neuromuscular training improves performance on the star excursion balance test in young female athletes. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2010;40(9):551-558.
- Fitzgerald D, Trakarnratanakul N, Smyth B, Caulfield B. Effects of a Wobble Board-Based Therapeutic Exergaming System for Balance Training on Dynamic Postural Stability and Intrinsic Motivation Levels. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2010;40(1):11-19.
Functional Movement Screen Reliability, Validity, Injury Prediction
- Kiesel KB, Butler RJ, Plisky PJ. Limited and Asymmetrical Fundamental Movement Patterns Predict Injury in American Football Players. J Sport Rehabil. 2013
- Minick KI, Kiesel K, Burton L, Taylor A, Plisky PJ, Butler RJ. Inter-rater Reliability of the Functional Movement Screen. J Strength Cond Res. 2010; 24(2):479–486
- Teyhen DS, Shaffer SW, Lorenson CL, et al. The functional movement screen: a reliability study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012;42(6):530-540.
- Butler RJ, Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ. Interrater Reliability of Videotaped Performance on the Functional Movement Screen Using the 100-Point Scoring Scale. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 2012 ; 4 (3): 103-109.
- Chorba RS, Chorba DJ, Bouillon LE, Overmyer CA, Landis JA. Use of functional movement screening tool to determine injury risk in female collegiate athletes. N Am J Sports Phys Ther. 2010;5:47-54.
- Kiesel K, Plisky PJ, Voight M. Can serious injury in professional football be predicted by a preseason functional movement screen? NAJSPT. 2007;2(3):147-158
- Butler RJ, Contreras M, Burton LC, Plisky PJ, Goode A,. Kiesel KB. Modifiable Risk Factors Predict injuries in Firefighters during Training Academies. Work. 2013; 46(1):11-7.
- O’Connor FG, Deuster PA, Davis J, Pappas CG, Knapik JJ. Functional Movement Screening:Predicting Injuries in Officer Candidates. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011.
- Kiesel KB, Plisky PJ, Butler RJ. Functional Movement Test Scores Improve following an Off-season Intervention Program in Professional Football Players. Scand J Med Sci Sport 2011; 21(2): 287-92.
- Peate WF, Bates G, Lunda K, Francis S, Bellamy K. Core strength: a new model for injury prediction and prevention. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2007;2:3.
- Cowen VS. Functional fitness improvements after a worksite-based yoga initiative. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010;14(1):50-4.
- Goss DL, Christopher GE, Faulk RT, Moore J. Functional training program bridges rehabilitation and return to duty. J Spec Oper Med. 2009;9(2):29-48.
- Frost DM, Beach TA, Callaghan JP, McGill SM. Using the Functional Movement Screen™ to evaluate the effectiveness of training. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(6):1620-30..
- Reid A, Birmingham TB, Stratford PW, Alcock GK, Giffin JR. Hop testing provides a reliable and valid outcome measure during rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Phys Ther. 2007; 87(3):337-49.
- Munro AG, Herrington LC. Between-session reliability of four hop tests and the agility T-test. J Strength Cond Res. 2011; 25(5):1470-7.
- Myer GD, Schmitt LC, Brent JL, Ford KR, Barber Foss KD, Scherer BJ, Heidt RS Jr, Divine JG, Hewett TE. Utilization of modified NFL combine testing to identify functional deficits in athletes following ACL reconstruction. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011; 41(6):377-87.
Previous Injury as a Risk Factor Motor Control Changes frequently remain after rehabilitation
- Hägglund M, Waldén M, Ekstrand J. Risk Factors for Lower Extremity Muscle Injury in Professional Soccer: The UEFA Injury Study. Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41(2):327-35
- Bullock-Saxton JE, Janda V, Bullock MI. The influence of ankle sprain injury on muscle activation during hip extension. Int J Sports Med. 1994;15(6):330-334.
- Cholewicki J, Greene HS, Polzhofer GK, Galloway MT, Shah RA, Radebold A. Neuromuscular function in athletes following recovery from a recent acute low back injury. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002;32(11):568-575.
- Cholewicki J, Silfies SP, Shah RA, et al. Delayed trunk muscle reflex responses increase the risk of low back injuries. Spine. 2005;30(23):2614-2620.
- Hubbard TJ, Kramer LC, Denegar CR, Hertel J. Contributing factors to chronic ankle instability. Foot Ankle Int. 2007;28(3):343-354.
- Nadler SF, Malanga GA, Feinberg JH, Rubanni M, Moley P, Foye P. Functional performance deficits in athletes with previous lower extremity injury. Clin J Sport Med. 2002;12(2):73-78.
- Van Deun S, Staes FF, Stappaerts KH, Janssens L, Levin O, Peers KK. Relationship of chronic ankle instability to muscle activation patterns during the transition from double-leg to single-leg stance. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35(2):274-281.
- Zazulak BT, Hewett TE, Reeves NP, Goldberg B, Cholewicki J. Deficits in neuromuscular control of the trunk predict knee injury risk: a prospective biomechanical-epidemiologic study. Am J Sports Med. 2007 35(7):1123-30